The march of Civilisation
Victoria before 1848
Say thanks to
Diary of Victoria - Part 2
Home Diary 1835 or Diary 1837

From Rootsweb Diary2 From: "R + L Fletcher" Subject: Re: Diary of Victoria - Part 2 Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999
Subject: Re: Diary of Victoria - Part 2 Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999


March John Aitken arrived in the brig Chili with 600 sheep. The vessel having run aground, the sheep were landed near Arthur's Seat and were travelled to a place between Sunbury and Gisborne, subsequently named Mount Aitken by Sir Richard Bourke. The first inland occupation of sheep country.

Dr Alexander Thompson and family arrived from Launceston. He came as medical officer and catechist or missionary for the Port Phillip Association.

April 13 Baron Glenelg authorised Sir Richard Bourke to form a settlement at Port Phillip.

April 20 John Batman arrived in the barque Caledonia with his wife and daughters and accompanied by Miss Caroline Elizabeth NEWCOMBE. Two other passengers were the Rev. Joseph Orton and James Simpson. Batman occupied a house he had built on Batman's Hill. He built other buildings, opened a store, cultivated about 20 acres and made a small orchard.

April 24 The first church service at the Settlement by an ordained clergyman was held in John Batman's house by Rev Orton, Wesleyan Minister on the morning of this day. In the afternoon he conducted a service in the open air.

May 2 Disputes between Fawkner and Henry Batman were decided by 3 arbitrators: James Simpson, Dr Alexander Thompson and John Aitken. The first arbitration at the Settlement.

May 25 George Stewart, Police Magistrate of Goulburn NSW, who had been sent by Sir Richard Bourke in the revenue cutter Prince George to enquire into the state of affairs at Port Phillip, arrived there. During his stay of eight days, he distributed the proclamation of Governor Bourke warning off trespassers.

June 1 The first public meeting was held. Sixteen persons were present with James Simpson being Chairman. He was appointed arbitrator in all disputes, except those relating to land, with power to name 2 associates. The three were empowered to impose and collect fines. All present bound themselves not to take any action at law against the arbitrators. All residents not present were to be invited to become parties to the resolutions passed. All present bound themselves to report any agressions upon or by the aboriginies and that they would protect the aboriginies; that they would not teach them the use of fire-arms or allow their servants to do so, or permit them to possess fire-arms. After carrying a motion agreeing to a reward of 5/- being paid to the killer of every wild dog (dingo), it was resolved that a petition be prepared for presentation to Governor Bourke praying him to appoint a resident Police Magistrate and local Justices of the Peace.

June 10 In his report to Gov Bourke, Stewart stated that the town 'Bearbrass' is on the left-hand of the Yarro Yarro, about 7 miles from its mouth, which at present consists of 13 buildings; 3 weather board, 2 slate and 8 turf huts. He further stated that the European population consisted of 142 males and 35 females. There were 26,500 sheep, 57 horses and 100 cattle the estimated value of which, together with agricultural implements etc was 80,000 pounds. About 100 miles of country was occupied with the most distant not more than 35 miles from the Settlement. Stewart made a list of 11 vessels that had made 48 trips from VDL bringing stock and supplies. He also drew attention to the smuggling of tobacco and spirits.

June 28 William, son of John and Mary Gilbert, died - the first death at the Settlement. The child was buried in the cemetery - now the site of the Flagstaff Gardens.

July 12 Stephen Franks and his shepherd were buried. They had been killed with tomahawks by blacks a few days earlier near Mt Cottrell. James Smith read the Church of England burial service. The 4th burial was that of a sailor of HMS Rattlesnake.

July 23 Stephen George Henty, master of the Sally Ann, arrived at Portland Bay. He became the first merchant there.

September 9 Sir Richard Bourke issued a Government Order which was published in the Sydney Gazette of 13th September and the New South Wales Government Gazette of 14th Sept, notifying that His Majesty's Government had authorised the location of settlers at Port Phillip under the Crown Lands Regulations of NSW and that he had appointed Capt. William Lonsdale of the 4th or King's Own Regiment, to be Police Magistrate for that district. A survey of the land to be sold would be made but until it had been completed, no applications for purchase would be entertained. Further all lands occupied without title from the NSW Government, unless required for public purposes, would be liable to be sold at public auction to the best bidder.

Sept 29 HMS Rattlesnake, under the command of Cpt Wiliam Hobson, anchored in Hobson's Bay. In addition to Capt and Mrs Lonsdale, their children and servants and a detachment of troops, she also conveyed Robert Day district constable, Joseph William Hoosen constable and James Dwyer, constable. Capt Lonsdale's salary was 300 pounds per annum, less a reduction of 50 pounds while he drew, for several months, half pay from his regiment. Day was paid 3/-s per day and Hoosen and Dwyer 2/3d per day each. Capt Lonsdale drew rations as a civilian, for himself and family and also for 2 servants. The constables drew military rations. Capt Lonsdale posted Sir Richard Bourke's proclamation on trees and distributed it among the residents.

## There is lots of mention about dispatches between Lonsdale and Bourke which I won't detail here ##

October 5 The brig Stirlingshire arrived with Robert Saunders Webb, Sub Collector of Customs, John McNamara, Tide Waiter; Skene Craig, Commissariat Officer; 3 assistant surveyors, Robert Russell, Frederick Robert D'Arcy and William Wedge Darke; 30 privates of the 4th Regiment under Ensign G King and 30 convicts. The cargo included a large quantity of timber, 10,000 bricks, provisions, tools and a supply of blankets, shirts, canvas trousers, red night caps, 25 brass plates and chains etc for the natives.

October 11 Lonsdale appointed William Buckley constable and interpreter to the natives, at a salary of 60 pounds per year.

October 17 Major Thomas Livingstone Mitchell reached the Murray River opposite Howlong, after his journey through Port Phillip. He gave the name Australia Felix to the territory he had explored in Port Phillip.

November 5 John Charles was born to John and Eliza Batman.

November 9 Sheep were first shorn at the Setlement on the banks of the Salt Water River opposite what is now Flemington Racecourse. The sheep were the property of the Great Lake Company, the manager being Kenneth S Clarke and the shearers were Michael Fogarty and John Morton.

A census was completed - population 224 (186 males 38 females - 23 over 12 years of age and 15 under.) 43 residences, cultivated land 97 acres, 41,332 sheep, 155 cattle and 75 horses. The total did not include the Government workers of about 90 persons or new arrivals from VDL. Many occupiers of land in the Geelong district were also omitted. Fawkner's name was not on the list as he was in Launceston at the time and George Smith was then in occupation of his public house, which was described as a weather-board building of 6 rooms.

November 14 First sale by auction at the Settlement was held by Benjamin Francis, of Sydney. Sales were also conducted on 18th and 21st November.

December 5 Skene Craig was appointed Postmaster.

December 11 HMS Rattlesnake sails for Sydney. During her stay Cpt Hobson, Lieutenant Thomas Symonds, Lt Hastings, R Henry and Peter Frederick Shortland, Mate, surveyed Port Phillip Bay. Among the names given were Point Cook (after John M Cook, mate) Point Wilson (after John Wilson, midshipman) Point Henry (after the lieutenant) Point Richards (after Lieut Charles Richards of the Rattlesnake) Shortland's Bluff (after the mate) Point Lonsdale, Point King (after Daniel King, surgeon) Mount Martha (after Mrs Lonsdale) and Mount Eliza (after Mrs Hobson)

December John Gardiner, Joseph Hawdon and John Hepburn, the first overlanders, arrived with 300 head of cattle they had driven from the Murrumbidgee River. The party crossed the Yarra Yarra at Dight's Fall's, with considerable difficulty, in the first week of January 1837, where Gardiner formed a run and erected a dwelling on the site of Scotch College, Hawthorn.

Home Diary 1835 or Diary 1837
Elizabeth Janson's web contributions
began 1st Nov, 1998
See my Resume and list of new web addresses.
© Say thanks to